Monday, April 24, 2023

The 1950s were the most boring part of my life

 Why?

Because I was 2 to 12 years old from 1950 to 1960. But, it then went from the most boring part of my life to complete overwhelm non-stop after 1960.

Imagine you are a child and you have a bicycle by age 5 but mostly there is nothing to do but listen to the radio or play with your toys. Mostly you don't have a brother or a sister to play with so unless you find a friend nearby you are alone a lot and this can be very boring for a child.

Then 1960 arrives and what happens? First Kennedy is elected President and he is sort of like the King of Camelot or something to the American people (a very young and sexy King with a young and Sexy wife and this is welcome to the majority of Americans. Then the Cuban Missile Crisis happens and people think World War III is going to happen and we are all going to be fried in nuclear blasts. Then in 1963 it is likely that Krushchev had Kennedy assassinated through the Mafia and Castro in revenge for making him look bad in Cuba. After all Krushchev   was a World War II Army General I believe for Russia so he held grudges and often acted on those grudges against others.

So, imagine for a child the 1950s being unbelievably boring and then all hell breaks loose in your life and it never stops after that:

Cuban Missile Crisis

Kennedy Assassination

Bobby Kennedy assassinated

Margin Luther King Assassinated (might be a different order between bobby and Martin not sure)

Then the Viet Nam War

Flower Children in response to the Viet Nam War

Kent State University of  shooting students during a demonstration

 with U.S. national Guard shooting students 

So, all these things just seemed to build and build and build

And meanwhile I'm 20 21 22 starting in 1968 and then in 1980 I'm 32 years old and a single father raising my son alone from age 29 to 32 until I married again.

So, it went from the most boring time in my life to where I felt I wasn't going to survive growing up at all by 1960 and beyond and watched many of my friends die in various ways along the way including in the Viet Nam War. So, the 1950s for me were boring and the 1960s and 1970s were a combination of Wonderful and horrific and also life threatening on all levels for my generation. More American Soldiers my age died in Viet Nam born my age in 1948 than any other age. This was horrific too. But, I didn't have to get drafted and die there either. So, I sort of felt guilty about this on some levels.

So, I wasn't the only one scared by all the changes and the intensity and craziness of the late 1960s and 1970s.

It was so intense that many people died or never recovered psychologically from these experiences from 1960 until 1980.

And then in 1980 after I remarried it was 10% unemployment so I bought land for cash and built a house so it was easier to survive those times and still live on beautiful land (2 1/2 acres with a View of Mt. Shasta) without having to pay rent and only property taxes because everything was paid for. So, it really saved us a lot of money for 5 years to live an ideal life which reminds me a little of the Disney Movie "Swiss Family Robinson" in it's remoteness and quaintness.

Those 5 years are one reason I'm still alive and happy today at age 75 here in September of 2023

No comments:

Post a Comment